CROCKPOT ITALIAN POT ROAST
I am a slow-cooker fanatic but I have run into some crockpot recipes that just do not work, but not so with this HEALTHY & DELICIOUS Italian Pot Roast recipes from Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook. I picked this cookbook up not because of Weight Watcher but rather the “one pot” was intriguing & the layout in the book makes life so simple as the categories are listed by type of baking dish … aka casserole dish, slow cooker, sauce pan, roasting pan, etc. This really makes it easy to find a dish to make depending on what you feel like cooking with.
I decided to try to “Italian Pot Roast” in the slow cooker and I must admit this recipe is so good we never have leftovers! One word of advice, use a 3 quart slow cooker on this one & not your 6 quart unless you plan to more than double the recipe, you really don’t want too much surface area on this one or it burns and I would also suggest skipping the High for 4-5 hours & go for the Low & Slow for about 8 hours, it really tenderizes the meat & will melt in your mouth! Also I add a ½ cup of red wine to this recipe to really break down the meat but you can leave it out … I have tried it both ways & it tastes great either way!!
Weight Watchers One Pot “Italian Pot Roast”
Serves about 8
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 (2 ¾ pound) bottom round roast beef roast (either whole or cut in cubes)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium size red onion
4 garlic gloves, minced
2 teaspoons of diced mushrroms
½ teaspoon dried rosemary
½ cup beef stock (low sodium preferred)
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
Parsley to taste
- Combine flour, salt & pepper in bowl, roll beef into seasoned flour & shake off excess.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides (about 10 minutes). Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add onion & cook until translucent (about 5 minutes) then add mushrooms, rosemary and garlic stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Add beef broth, bring to boil then scrape all browned bits from bottom. Transfer all into slow cooker.
- Into slow cooker, stir in diced tomatoes and parsley. (Optional add red wine as well).
- Cover and cook Low & Slow for about 8 hours.
- ENJOY over Rice, Couscous, Egg Noodles or Quona.
xoxo- Glam Girl